Finding Peace Amid Holiday Stress
As the Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays quickly approach, it can be easy to get swept up in the hustle, bustle and whirlwind of work parties, family gatherings, bursting budgets and a seemingly endless to-do list.
With radio stations playing Christmas carols for over three weeks, you may not be feeling jolly or peaceful. How can you even think of a “silent night” when you are trying to work, clean your house, buy presents (and wrap them, too?), bake cookies and prepare meals for all of those holiday festivities? It becomes easy to lose your joy – and every sense of peace – during the many celebrations.
Suggestions to find peace
Here are a few suggestions for taking a moment – for finding peace amid the holiday stress – to take care of yourself:
- Take a few minutes to quiet your mind – close your eyes or look at a soothing image, take a few deep breaths. There are many guided meditations available online for free. If you are finding it difficult to relax, try this guided meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_lpeaJF8Y.
- Grab your warm coat, hat and mittens and take a walk outside. Even a 10-minute daily walk can refresh and renew.
- Tune out to tune it: set aside your phone, e-reader, tablet, computer and other electronics for an hour each day.
- Listen to some favorite music – it could be anything that relaxes you. Check out this selection to get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ZozI0rw7w
- Get organized. Many times stress is caused by having too many things on the to-do list that resides in your head. Put it to paper and then decide what is truly important.
Need more help?
The therapists at Agor Behavioral Health Services can help you through holiday stress. Contact us today for more information or to schedule a free 20 minute consultation to discuss your situation. Schedule an appointment by calling 630-621-5824 or send us a message.