Foster Care & Adoption
These links will take you outside of the Agor Behavioral Health Services, Inc. website. These resources are not intended to replace therapy or counseling. They are provided as a an educational resources for our clients and site visitors.
- Illinois Mentor – http://www.thementornetwork.com – Illinois Mentor offers both adoption and medically supervised foster care services.
- Lutheran Social Services of Illinois – http://www.lssi.org – LSSI offers both adoption and foster care services. Adoption services focus on placing children of all ages, some with special medical or emotional needs, in a permanent, loving home. Foster Care services focus on placing children who have experienced neglect or physical, emotional or sexual abuse in a loving and secure home for varying lengths of time. LSSI also works with children who have special medical or emotional needs.
Online Foster Care and Adoption Resources
- 10 New Year’s Resolutions for Foster Parents – http://adoption.about.com/od/celebrationinspiration/a/fosterresolutio.htm
- The Challenges of Foster Care – http://adoption.about.com/od/fostering/a/fostcarechallen.htm – Article discusses what it means to be a foster parent.
- The Top 8 Things You Need to Know Before Doing Foster Care – http://adoption.about.com/od/fosterin1/a/fosterbasics.htm – Article discussing making the decision, how to understand foster children, working the agencies, working with the birth families and more.
- From Fostering to Adopting – http://www.adopting.org/adoptions/from-fostering-to-adopting.html – Article discusses making the transition from foster parents to adoptive parents.
- 10 New Year’s Resolutions for Adoptive Parents – http://adoption.about.com/od/newsandreference/a/topquestions.htm
- Adoption.com – Adoption.com offers many resources and articles for those who are interesting in adoption. The site includes information on state laws, statistics and personal stories.
- Real Moms Adoption Newsletter – http://www.comeunity.com/adoption/realmoms/index.html – Real Moms adoption newsletter offers support, information and encouragement for domestic adoption to adoptive and prospective adoptive mothers.
- Special Needs Adoption – http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/adoption/index.html – Articles and books provide suggestions and advice for parents adopting children with special needs.